Quick enquiry
  • Thermopatch thermals

Bury FC look to Football League in effort to lift transfer embargo

Over 2,500 fans turned up on Friday to see Bury snatch a vital point at home to Shrewsbury in a 2-2 draw. The point still leaves The Shakers in the bottom three. Meanwhile, discussions are taking place between the club and the Football League over the possibility of extending the deals they have for their loan players once the transfer window reopens.
 
Bury had a transfer embrago placed upon them last week and there were fears that Kevin Blackwell would be forced to send his six loan players back to their parent clubs once their deals ran out on January 3.
 
However, it is now understood that the embargo may now only stop the Gigg Lane outfit from registering new players, not extending the stay of those already registered.

David Manchester, Bury’s commercial director, said: “That’s something we are discussing with the Football League at the moment.
 
“You’ve got to remember though that, first of all, you’ve got to find out if the players want to stay here. Then you’ve got to establish if the parent clubs will allow them to stay here.
 
“So there’s all these things to be considered, then we can talk to the Football League and see what we can do.”
 
Blackwell has depended heavily on the loan market since taking over the Gigg Lane hotseat at the end of September.
 
Leicester striker Tom Hopper was already at the club when he arrived, but the Bury boss has since added Leeds midfielders Zac Thompson and Dominic Poleon, Wolves defenders Matt Doherty and Ethan Ebanks-Landell, QPR forward Troy Hewitt and Bolton Wanderers winger Gregg Wylde. Poleon was recalled to Elland Road, but the other six remain, and would leave a big hole in the starting line-up if Bury cannot negotiate an extension to their deals, as they will not be able to replace them until the club repays the loan to the PFA that triggered the embargo.
 
Manchester, however, reiterated that the club is on course to clear that debt.

“It’s within our means and we are confident we can pay it back in the time we have allocated,” he said.
 
“We’re hoping by mid-January that the loan to the PFA will be paid off and that Kevin can get back in the transfer market.”
 
The director also thanked fans for their continued support, confirming the club had sold more than 200 season tickets since the embargo was revealed.
 
And he said:  “It’s been absolutely unbelievable. They’ve not only just taken up the season ticket offer, they’ve bought shares, they’ve joined Lifeline. It’s been overwhelming really, but we’ve just got to keep it going.”
 

Web design by Brick technology Ltd.